Sunday, September 20, 2015

Blanding to Hite Marina, Utah, where the Colorado River flows into Lake Powell Wed 7/22/2015

     One of my new biking friends I met on this section referred to this stretch of the ride as "god forsaken desert".  I think it's beautiful, awesome, and breathtaking.
Left Blanding before sunup this morning and as the sun is peeking over the horizon I'm having to push my bike and trailer up this steep grade.

Got a downhill run here for a ways.

Rocks stacked up leaning against the sky.

They had to move a lot of rock to make this cut.

You can see the drill holes for the dynamite.


The landscape gets bigger.

The shadows make for cool riding.

Rough crossing this arroyo without a highway.

Do you suppose this rock formation counts the vehicles passing by?

It took a long time for this sculpture to be carved.


Ripples of sandstone.

My great granddaughter says this looks like sand dune rocks.

Scenes like this are just around every turn in the road.

Shade under a juniper tree is a nice place to have lunch.

More scenery.

Still more scenery.

A glimpse of the ruggedness of this land.

A zoomed in shot of the above canyon.



Looks like a giant hogan


Somewhere down there is my destination for today.

Wind at work

Jacob's chair.

Zoomed in shot of Jacob's chair.

The scorpion is ready to strike.

The sun is in the right place for this picture.

This one, too.

Another water carved canyon .

I was wondering what percent grade this was that I was pushing my bicycle up.  Then when I got to the top I found out.

Bryan setting up his sleeping quarters.

Dustin relaxing.  Bryan, Dustin, Kory, and I slept under the porch of the visitors center at Hite Landing where the Colorado River enters Lake Powell.

1 comment:

  1. I have some of the same pictures you took. I especially liked Jacobs chair. Good job Larry. Awesome memories for you!

    ReplyDelete