Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Sunday in Dolores, CO Sun 7/19/2015

 
     Logged in on my computer to "lds.org"and found three wards in Cortez.  One chapel was about 10 miles from my motel in Dolores and the ward boundaries included Dolores.  Called Bishop McGee of that ward and he said he'd find someone to pick me up and take me to church.  In visiting with Bishop McGee I asked if he was related to Charlie McGee and Cliff McGee, two brothers who operated Trading Posts on the Navajo and Hopi Indian Reservations.  One of my best friends in high school was Elwood McGee, son of Charlie.

Left to right:  Father of the two cyclist brothers from Sweden, Lars the motel manager, mother of the two cyclist brothers.  The brothers are riding coast to coast and the parents flew in after they started to be a support vehicle for part of their journey.

Lars, the motel manager is pointing at me as the picture is being taken and saying; "He's the man, he's 76 years old".  Lars was so accommodating, he treated me like royalty.  The name of the motel is The Dolores Mountain Motel.  The red pickup behind us is my ride to take me to church.
Me and Brother Haddaway.  He volunteered to come and pick me up for church when Bishop McGee mentioned there was a cyclist in Dolores who wanted a ride to church.  Brother Haddaway was on the US Olympic Cyclist Team way back when.

Got reacquainted with Richard Harmon.  In one of the meetings at church they asked any visitors to stand and introduce and tell a little about themselves.  When I sat down Richard spoke up and announced to the audience that I was his 9th grade track coach at Mesa Junior High School.  That was in 1966 or 67, almost 50 years ago.  He invited me to dinner with him and his wife Sherry. We had a great meal and conversation reminiscing about those days and people we knew.  That's what old people do, you know.  I was amazed to learn that Sherry's father was at one time a member of the US Navy Blue Angels Flight Demonstration Squadron.  

Today's Blue Angel Squadron











No comments:

Post a Comment