Monday, September 21, 2015

Hite Marina to Hanksville, UT 7/23/2015

     Bryan, Dustin, and Kory all left Hite Landing early.  I had to wait for the store to open at 8:00 am to get some provisions.
Trees grow where water flows

Bridge over the Colorado River.  Nice setting for a bridge.

Looking down the Colorado River.

Tan, Red, and gray rocks against a blue sky.  Looking downstream from the bridge.

Looking up from the bridge.

Everywhere you look there are beautiful rock formations.

Hite Marina not so international airport.

A periscope out of the earth?

A pool of green in this land of colored rock.

A nearby donor to Lake Powell.

Dirty Devil River.

Looking up

The narrow road fits nicely thru this man-made cut.

Calm river here in a vast land of beauty.

Step by step up this steep grade.

The north end of Lake Powell.

Another mile of uphill climb I just ascended.

Aaahhh, a little downhill relief.

The road follows this tributary that nourishes these trees.

Water stained cliffs.

My drinking water was hot and this nice lady, Heidi Mosher, turned around, came back to me and gave me two bottles of ice cold water and two bottles of gatorade.  I drank them all in about 10 minutes.  This was just a few miles before Hanksville.  She was from Dillon, MT and knew the Cleverly's who had given me lodging when I was in Dillon on my Canada to Mexico ride two years ago.  She was on her way to take her kids camping.

I was relieved when I pulled into this motel and there was not a car parked in its lot.  I asked the manager for a room and she told me not unless I had a reservation, said she was all booked up.  Then she said here they come now. and 30 to 40 motorcycles came into the motel.  They were a motorcycling group from Norway.  They flew here, rented motorcycles, and are touring the western United States.  

This man looked to me to be the patriarch of the group.

Extra motorcycles in the trailer in case one breaks down.  Fortunately there was another motel about two blocks away.  Bryan, Dustin, and Kory were already checked in there.

1 comment:

  1. We just returned from Utah on Sunday. Since my ride, I have been there two more times. Awesome country and great people!

    ReplyDelete