Wednesday, June 5, 2019

June 2, 2019 Sunday in Erie, PA


L to R Mark and Cindy Johnson, Revis, my wife, and me.  Mark helped pick me up off the floor of the entry into the church in Erie, Pennsylvania.   Mark was holding the door open for us as we were entering the building when I tripped on the step-up into the foyer and down I went.  I hit the floor on the same side I had injured in my fall off the bicycle a few days earlier.  Mark and another man helped me up off the floor.  What a grand entrance that was.  It also increased the pain level of my ribs from eight to ten.  They invited us to have dinner with them that afternoon.  We had a very nice visit getting acquainted with them.  We learned a lot more about the grape industry there.  I had just assumed that the vineyards were producing grapes primarily for the wine industry.  Mark estimated that perhaps about 70% of the grapes went to Welch's for juice, jam, and jelly. He has a few acres of grapes and he sells them all too Welch's.


Mark and Cindy with their grand daughter Ka;yla.


Strawberries near the Johnson's farm.


The blueberry plants in the Johnson's garden are putting on the berries.




You see the fencing around their blueberry garden.  Before the blueberries ripen and are sweet they will unroll a netting over the top to save the berries from the birds.  The birds can destroy an entire crop of blueberries.  They will poke their beak into a berry, suck out some juice then move on to the next berry.

While we were eating the man Mark contracts with to spray his grapes for mold came and started spraying.  He has to do that  maybe three times during the growing season or the mold will ruin his crop.


As we left the Johnson's home we noticed some of the vines that grow in the area like to climb the power lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment