Sunday, August 9, 2015

Salida to Gunnison, CO Mon 7/13/2015

     Today is the day I encounter the real obstacle.  11,312 feet high Monarch Pass.  That's a little more than a 4,000 foot ascent.
Monarch Pass is up there somewhere 



Getting closer but I do need a short rest break

Met Pat Robinson on this climb.  He's from Kansas City and comes to Colorado quite often to ride the different bike routes here



Quite a ways to the top yet


Somewhat heavy traffic to contend with

This is not a welcome sign.  I am walking at this point.  A couple hundred beyond this sign a lady stops in a SUV and says, "you look like you could use some help.  I can take you to the top of the pass."  I responded, "Since you offered I accept."


This is the lady that rescued me from that last 6 miles up to Monarch Pass

Back together again and ready for the downhill ride to Gunnison.


Now I'm really heading towards the Pacific Ocean.




This is Bob and Dale. One is from Gunnison and the other is from Czechoslovakia.  Met them at the summit.
Starting downhill now.
Smooth highway, downhill grade, nice riding but watch your speed.

Clouds build up fast up here and they also make for good photos.

Another pretty shot.

Green now, white in winter


A contrast

No comments:

Post a Comment