Monday, July 29, 2013

Geronimo Surrender Monument to Mexico border at Douglas, AZ

 Rise and shine for the last day 
 Ready to roll down the road
 Rest stop
 Grandson Weston Clouse
 Picture taken on this ride
 Picture taken at same location on 2006 ride from Cortez, CO to Mexico ride
 Summer monsoons have made the desert green
 Son Russ and his wife Shelle
 This hill is covered with Ocotillo trees
 Looking down the road to Douglas
 Everyone at the finish line.  Port of Entry into Mexico is in the background  
 Youngest member of the family present, great-granddaughter Olive Jones, just had to sit on the bicycle seat
 Me and friend Paul Champion.  Paul came up with the idea to ride the last day with me
Me with grandchildren Roxanne and Gavin Wadsworth

July 27, 2013 Saturday, Day 39 riding, Day 57 of trip.
Fourteen members of my family and two friends came to ride and/or accompany me to the finish of my trek forty miles away, making this a most memorable and happy day.  My two friends are Paul and Dorothy Champion.  Paul is responsible for coming up with the idea of joining me and riding the last forty miles together to my destination.
I thought it was a unique idea and called by eldest son Curtis and invited him and any other family members that would like to participate in that.  He took it from there.
Well, to my great surprise and pleasure fourteen members of my family showed up, in addition to Paul and Dorothy Champion.
Arriving Friday night and providing the Bar-B-Que dinner were sons Curtis and Scott Clouse, son-in-law Wayne Smith, and grandsons Weston Clouse and Brigg Smith.
Joining us Saturday morning was Curtis' wife Denise, son Russell Clouse and his wife Shelle, daughter Susan Wadsworth, grandsons Redden Clouse, Daxten Clouse, and Gavin Wadsworth, granddaughter Roxanne Wadsworth, and great-granddaughter Olive Jones.
My trek was a fantastic experience.  I give special thanks to those good people who provided lodging along the way:  Roger DiBrito in Florence, MT, Murlene Cleverly and her son Kindle in Dillon, MT,  Keith and Gayle Butler in Cedaredge, CO, Vivian Tekala in Zuni, NM, John and Nyla Payne in Reserve, NM, and Lloyd and Carolyn Payne in Lordsburg, NM.
My appreciation goes out to my family for their support and help, to Curtis and Sheldon for flying me to my starting point, to Sheldon, Auburn, and Terry Ann for their help in creating this blog and making the posts.
A very special thanks to my wife Joyce who suggested that I needed to have a "man" vacation, to just do something that I wanted to do for however long it took, and for her support.  Also, thanks to my step-grandaughter, Sara Brown, for being such a big help and support to her grandmother in my absence.
And thanks to my many friends who followed me on my journey by checking in on this blog site.
And especially a big thanks to all  those who offered prayers for my safety, for I truly was protected and blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment