Sunday, July 7, 2013

Rangely to Fruita,CO

 Landscape up to Douglas Pass
 More landscape up to Douglas Pass
 Cattle grazing 3 miles below Douglas Pass
 Same cattle different angle
 Looking down during the ascent up Douglas Pass
 Looking down again
 Eagle road kill
 Finally, Douglas Pass
 Looking back from the pass.  This is where I came from
 Looking forward from the pass.  This is where I'm going
 Looking back up after part way down
Got past the steep downhill.  Now comes the gentle downhill ride
I'm actually more tired than I look here
July 3, 2013 Wednesday, Day 24 riding, Day 33 of trip.
There are no facilities between Rangely and Loma, a distance of about 75 miles.  About half way is Douglas Pass (8268 ft)Several people warned me about Douglas Pass and it is every dirty thing they said about it as far as riding over it.  The scenery is fantastic.  The last three miles is 6% to 13% grade.  I walked and pushed my bike the entire three miles.
got to Loma (the nearest town) at 9:45 pm.  Aah, a convenience store for a cold soda.  No motels there.  Rode five miles further to Fruita.  Finally, a bed.
Chain came off twice today.  Trouble shifting front gears.  Took 15 hours total time from when I left Rangely to motel in Fruita.  Eleven hours riding and walking.
From Rock Springs, WY to Fruita CO has been the hardest of the journey.
I can really tell the affects of high altitude up here.  I will be breathing violently and gasping for air and my heart rate is only 110 bpm or 115 bpm.  If I were at home riding up Usery Pass and breathing that hard my heart rate would be up over 150 bpm.  Anyway, that was interesting to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment