Monday, May 18, 2015

Larry's Coast To Coast Bicycle Ride--Summer 2015


Hello family, friends, and strangers who are now friends!!!

     On Wednesday May 20, 2015 at 1:20 a.m. I will depart from Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport and arrive at Newport News, VA Airport at 12:11 p.m., after a three layover in Charlotte, NC.  My bicycle and BOB trailer were shipped via FedEx on May 12 to a FedEx store three miles from the airport.   After a short cab ride and assembling the bike and trailer then I'm good to go. 
     From there I will ride 10 miles to Yorktown, VA, which is on the Atlantic Coast and is the official starting point of my coast to coast ride, then another 13 miles to Williamsburg, where I will find a very comfortable motel bed and rest from the cross-country plane ride.  Then it's across Virginia, Kentucky, Southern tip of Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, and California, arriving in San Francisco  about August 1st.

There must be a way to get this rotated but I haven't been able to figure it out. So either tilt your head or tilt your device.  But anyway, this my route.


    The desert here in Arizona is beautiful in the springtime, especially after a good rain.   Here are some pictures of the desert scenery in Arizona I took on my training rides:

 Sunrise on the Eastern Horizon

Superstition Mountain at Sunrise


 Directional sign for lost pilots


 Looking down Usery Pass backside


 Four Peaks


 Usery Pass backside again


                                                                  Cholla (cho-ya) cactus


Ocotillo (oh-co-tee-yo) tree


 Red Mountain and Cholla cacti
One of the bike paths along the canals in Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler, and Tempe where I have logged many miles




No comments:

Post a Comment