Sunday, May 31, 2015

Troutville to Catawba, VA May 28, 2015

Thursday May 28, 2015  This is the morning I missed the phone calls from the reporter.  Didn't leave Troutville until 10:30 a.m. When I checked my mirror I didn't see my flags waving behind me.  So I turned around and went back to the motel and got my flagpole.
     The climb up to Catawba was wicked. I literally had to walk and push my bicycle the last 3 to 4 miles. No motels in Catawba, but they do have a very nice restaurant called the Homeplace Restaurant. They only serve dinner Family style. There was more food than I could eat, believe it or not. All the sides were in a separate dish and you just fill your plate from the side dishes.
     However, in Catawba, there is a hostel. I didn't know what this was but I sure found out. The people that run the hostel picked me up at the restaurant and took me to the hostel. There were about 30 hikers already housed in the garage that makes up the hostel. This hostel is right along the Appalachian Trail. He said I can sleep on the grass, but rain was forecast during the night. Or, I can sleep in the barn. It is an old, old barn with chickens nesting in it. I chose the barn. At least I had my privacy.
 The famed Appalachian Hiking Trail

 Here's the trail going into the forest on one side of the highway


 Here's the trail going into the forest onthe other side of the highway

The Homeplace Restaurant

 My accommodations for the night.  

 Rear entry

 View from my room

 Other residents realizing that I'm there for the night, so they'll just leave.  But they did return to check me out some more

 My bed

 The first ingredients for Egg Nog

Either she's nesting those eggs or she's getting ready to lay another one.  I didn't hang around to count

3 comments:

  1. Wow that is really pretty did they charge you for the suite ? Lol !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's a room with a view!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You slept in a barn on hay with chickens...I want to do this! New item on my bucket list. So fun!

    ReplyDelete