Sunday, May 31, 2015

Radford to Wytheville, VA ( pron. with-ville) Saturday May 30, 2015

Saturday May 30, 2015  Stayed at the Comfort Inn in Radford last night.  There was a Track team, boys and girls staying in the motel.  They are competing in Regionals this weekend.  They were having a good time and making noise as you would expect from teenagers.  When I started to go to bed I asked them if they would tone it down over the next 30 minutes because I needed my rest.  They were very polite and respectful and complied with my request.

 Kelly Barker told me I should write a book or call National Geographic.  He is one positive thinking man

 Met Nancy and Jenny and their husbands at the motel.  They are working on their husbands bucket list.  And that is to visit all the Major League Baseball Parks and see a game.  This summer they are going to the west coast parks,  including the Diamondbacks and get those scratched off their list.  I think is was Nancy, unless I have their names mixed up, who told me of her friend who rode coast to coast to raise awareness of cancer. 

 Redford University

 As this picture is being taken the chimes on the clock tower at Radford University are ringing out Ten o'clock.  Can't you hear them?

 New River that flows thru Radford

 Some real red farm buildings

 The Old Wood Shed


 Go West old man, go West

 This is a real Club Sandwich with Clam Chowder soup.  Half ended up being lunch and half was dinner

 This man overheard my conversation with another couple and wanted my card with my blog.  Sorry his name slipped my mind before I made a note of it.  He wants to start riding a bicycle


Meet Clarence Ramsey.  He stopped in the middle of the street at an intersection and asked if I had a few minutes to talk to him. Sure, I said.  He got out of his car and we started talking as he was motioning cars around his car.  After about 20 minutes of conversation he told me that I was the first biker that ever stopped and talked to him.  He said they are always in a hurry. He was reluctant when I asked if I could take a picture of us together.  I asked if he was trying to hide from someone, and he said no.  He said "where do you want me to stand?"  I said "right over here by me",  and I grabbed his arm and pulled him over next to me.  I was still standing astraddle my bike.  We parted after the picture and he drove on past me down the road.   A couple miles later was a convenience mart that I was going to pull in and get something cold to drink.  There's Clarence sitting is his car in the entrance to the mart and he hands me two ice cold bottles of water and says, "I just read your card and I ain''t never had anybody with your education or money, now I don't know what your financial situation is and I don't want to know, take the time to stop and talk to an old country boy like me.  You have really made my day."  Needless to say he made my day and quenched by thirst.

 These guys and gals stared me down

This one I am walking up

5 comments:

  1. Im starting to think you went on this trip for the food. That sandwich is huge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading about the people you meet! My brother's wife's family is from Radford; beautiful place! -Britney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello coach happy to see your meeting some nice people Call me anytime ok be safe !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Clarence, we love Jesus, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this guy you met! What amazing people along your journey. Yes please write a book!

    ReplyDelete