Sunday, May 31, 2015

Lynchburg to Troutville, VA May 27, 2015

Wednesday: May 27. 2015  I stopped at the Roadside Market in Montvale, Virginia to get some refreshment. As I walked up to the counter to pay for my purchase a lady stepped up to me and handed me a $10 bill and gave me a big hug and turned around and walked out. I told her I didn't need this but she said that she wanted to give it to me.
     Rachel, the cashier, was very helpful in giving me directions to Troutville where there were several motels to choose from.  Troutville is where I could connect with my original route.  I had taken a couple of shortcuts to cut off some miles.  I arrived in Troutville at about 8 PM and the clerk at the desk at the comfort in quoted me a price of $99.  I asked if there was an AARP discount and she said yes that'll make it $79.  Then she asked if I was a hiker. I told her that I was a biker but I have been doing a lot of hiking pushing that bicycle and trailer up the steep mountain grades.  She said that qualifies you as a hiker, and then she quoted me a price of $49. So my room came with a 50% discount. Didn't realize that I was such a wheeler and dealer.
     Met Ron Brown in the same market. He asked me if I was getting any publicity for this ride and I said no. He says, well you need some. A few minutes later while I was outside drinking my soda he handed me his telephone and said, I've got the newspaper guy on the phone he wants to talk to you.  I talk to the editor he said he like to do  a human interest story and that he would assign a reporter to contact me in the morning before I leave the motel and interview me for the Roanoke newspaper. Well, I waited for the call the next morning and I did not hear the phone ring. The reporter had called me twice but my ringer was turned down on low volume and I didn't hear it and he did not leave a contact number and "No Caller ID" showed on my phone. Well, that would've been interesting,
 but a missed opportunity.
 Vickie and Rachel who really helped me get to Troutville
 Ron Brown who tried to get me some publicity in the local newspaper
Lynchburg, the home of Liberty University.  This may be the school associated with Jerry Fallwell 
 Clouds hanging over the Appalachians 

More clouds over the Appalachians

No comments:

Post a Comment