Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Wythville to Damascus and Abingdon Monday June 1, 2015

     On the road by 7:45 as I needed to get to Damascus by 6 pm.  That is the nearest Bike Shop and it's 58 miles away.  I had a broken spoke on the rear wheel and it was getting wobbly from all the weight.  Pretty ride but a lot of uphill for the first 40 miles.  The last 18 miles all downhill or fairly level.  That was the fun part of the ride.  The only difficulty was trying not to go too fast.
     Got to Damascus and neither of the two Bike Shops had a mechanic available for two more days.  The people in the store called a shop in Abingdon and they were still open.  But that was 13 miles away and not in the direction I was going.  One of their employees offered to drive me there.  I said I would pay him but he refused to accept any money.  We got there before they closed and they would repair and tune the bike tomorrow after 9 am.

 I think I'll have chicken for dinner tonight

 The water towers at Rural Retreat, VA

 Horse drawn hay mower

 Weeping Willow trees?

Pallets galore 
Christmas tree farm
My roadside cafe
The babbling brook
Bike Shop in Damascus whose mechanic left early and tomorrow is his day off.  Waiting for James to come back with his truck to take me to Abingdon
This is James Huffman.  My Good Samaritan.  He was a Tool and Die Machinest in Michigan for 43 years.  He and his wife have been married 51 years.  It was a real pleasure to meet him.  
This is George, Blair, Faye, and Chuck.  They are here to ride down the Virginia Creeper Trail.  They will be transported up a mountain so they can ride downhill on a trail of cinders and crushed rock.
George and Blair's bikes for tomorrows downhill ride
Faye and Chucks bikes for tomorrows downhill ride 
Rainbow after the thundershower
Bicycle Shop that repaired and tuned my bike

No comments:

Post a Comment